Week 7 - ID Clinical Check-ins
This week, I was able to see a lot in the OR and in the realm of infectious disease. In addition to my usual plate rounds in the Westblade lab, I was able to participate in ID Clinical rounds. Unlike the rounds in the lab, I was able to tag along with a few fellows and check in on a variety of patients with infections ranging from minuscule to severe. Thus, I explored the hospital and learned about several bacteremia based cases. However, they were difficult to hear about and eventually observe. One case involved an older patient with a perforated and septic duodenum, who was unable to undergo surgery. In addition, they had to rely on TPN for nutrition, and were at a high risk for MDR infection and further complications. Another patient had several abscesses from a disseminated streptococcus infection, as well as a high WBC count. Both of these patients remained in the hospital on antibiotics.
Courtesy of the ID department, myself and a few other members of my cohort were also able to see the COVID-19 testing facility in the basement of the building. There, samples are processed automatically and manually using two different types of devices: the Panther fusion and the Cobas 6800. It was interesting to see how the sample preparation was streamlined by the availability of reagent kits for both devices, and how quickly the facility was established to meet the extreme testing needs. I also attended another ID Case Conference, where one case was particularly engaging; An instance of super-resistant, reappearing PsA bacteremia was discussed, stemming from a fistula in the gastrointestinal tract. This appealed to me, as I will be working with P. aeruginosa in Ithaca, and this was the first time I was able to see its devastating effects in person. In addition, COVID-19 statistics (regarding the BA-5 strain) was mentioned, as well as potential testing for Monkeypox and it's status as an increasing threat.
Finally, I was also able to see a breast reduction with Dr. Spector. This surgery was especially interesting, as they were the first patient we were able to see in the clinic for a consultation. I look forward to seeing her post operation visit if we're still around!
- Taylor
Comments
Post a Comment