New week, the grind continues!

Student: Ayomide Oloyede 
Mentor: Dr. Marshall Glesby 

It seems as though as this summer runs to an end, things have become more hectic and activities in relation to research have rapidly increased for me. 

As I begin rounding up my research findings, I had my last organized professor meet and greet meeting with Dr. Nixon (another amazing retrovirus study focused professor) on Thursday morning. This was an awesome highlight to my week as we spoke of future plans and preparing for my future while doing my PhD. I believe Dr. Nixon has been the first to ask me who I would like to do my post doc study with as well as what I feel about preparations for that. He gave me insight on his experience trying to secure a post-doc position with a lab and in a position that he had strong interest in as well as the obstacles and pathways that he had to take to achieve his goals. Overall, he advised me to make the most of my connections and discuss with professionals about their works and the things that I find interesting. 

The next major highlight of my week was studying papers for a research work in discovering T cell response in SARS-CoV-2 virus as well as being involved in designing flow cytometry panels with the Ndhlovu laboratory. By the end of the week, I was able to observe as well as assist in running compensation beads with a cocktail of antibodies to have as a control for the cell runs that we also had during this week. Dr. Thomas (a researcher in the lab) as well as Ms. Courtney (a lab assistant researcher in the lab) allowed me assist in setting up the extracellular and intracellular staining of both bead and T cell samples. This experience of learning proper flow cytometry panel development for experiments as well as using Flo Jo for data analysis. 

This week although stressful, was very accomplishing in the new knowledge that i was able to acquire. I hope to continue in the lab till the end of summer and earn some new knowledge along with completing my summer research project with Dr. Glesby.

So, yes, new week, the grind continues, i learn new things! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 8 - Our final week and an ending with watching a major surgery.

Week 7: The COVID Testing Set-Up

Week 7