Interventional Radiology Cornell BME Immersion Term Week 5 (JD/Dr.Pua)

Fourth of July weekend was just what I needed! I spent some time with my family in New Jersey, enjoying the pool with some BBQ. I then returned to the city to spend time with my cousin and view the fireworks from Roosevelt Island. After another great weekend, I was energized to start the fifth week of Immersion.

I spent the Tuesday brainstorming how Dr. Pua and I can use modern technology and materials to improve fistula plugs. I believe polymers with controlled gelation and degradation kinetics will be an excellent place to start for this project. These soft materials, also known as hydrogels, could potentially allow for patient-specific plugs. This will be made possible by Dr. Pua and his collaborator's efforts to use images to construct 3D renderings of internal organs. I look forward to reviewing more literature and synthesizing this new technology. 

Midway through the week, I got lost looking for the OR rooms on the third floor. Luckily, I eventually found Dr. Milsom in room 23 just as he washed his hands to begin! Dr. Milsom was performing a rectal resection with a low colon to rectal anastomosis for rectal cancer treatment. The tools he used were absolutely fantastic. He installed what I'll call a portal to allow him to reach his hand (and most of his arm) into the patient's abdomen, giving him full access to move around the intestines as he pleased. He used devices to cut and seal tissues while guided by a high-definition camera that poked through the patient's belly. Watching this inspired me to consider being a surgeon. Perhaps if I can get a scholarship, I'd consider it. 

Lastly, I watched a nerve and muscle biopsy of the leg in the OR. This biopsy was much different than the one I saw in Interventional Radiology, as it was much more invasive. I can see why the advancements in IR are essential for improving patient compliance. That same day I captured the tail end of a craniotomy. This was absolutely the goriest thing I have ever seen in real life. It was fascinating to see the inside of someone's head; honestly, I wish I had the qualifications to participate in surgeries like these. 

Next week I look forward to continuing to make leeway on aiding in Dr. Pua's fistula publication. I will link up with Dr. Milsom again to see his expertise in the OR room. Finally, there is another procedure I will view that uses electrical fields to create tiny holes in cells, allowing for easier medicinal delivery. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 8 - Our final week and an ending with watching a major surgery.

Week 7: The COVID Testing Set-Up

Week 7