AVR + CABG
Immersion is getting interesting and intense at the same time😃 as I have been trying to wrap up both my observership and clinical research since we only have a few days to the end of immersion.
I started this week working with Dr. Worku on a new clinical research project at NYPH. Surprised right? I was as well. We intend to study outflow graft resistance from converting Heartware to Heartmate 3 LVADs. I am thrilled because this project is in line with my research interest, and I look forward to gathering more exciting data.
Towards the end of this week, I observed CABG and Aortic valve replacement (AVR) surgery, which was a follow-up on last week's case.
The patient was diagnosed with aortic regurgitation and occlusion in the LAD and PAD. The valve leaflet was resected, and a new biological valve( with a shelf life of about 10-15 years) was used to replace the diseased valve. The LAD and the PAD were then bypassed (as described in previous posts).

A typical Biological Heart Valve
Finally, I followed up on the case by checking on the patient and seeing how well they are recuperating after the surgery. This helped me to acquire a basic understanding of Diagnosis, treatment, and care.
I forgot to mention that my mentor traveled today for vacation, which means I won’t be saying goodbye next week (I hate goodbyes anyway). However, he ensured to put things in place like scheduling a surgical observation for me. So, I will be observing one more surgery and I will also be wrapping up my research project by next week.
Comments
Post a Comment