ADPKD

 I am Xinzi He. In this last week, I further dived into and learnt some concepts of classification of ADPKD via MRI image. 

ADPKD (autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease) is one of the most life-threatening renal diseases. Currently, ADPKD ranked at the fourth for the cause of kidney failure. And most ADPKD carrier will undergo the need of either dialysis or kidney transplantation by 50 years old. 

To alleviate the pain and hypertension and slow down the kidney function degradation, tolvaptan vazopressin receptor antagonist should be used in the early stage. However, to determine what time and what kind of treatment should be applied to patients, disease classification based on image is of great value.

The most popular ADPKD stratification method is established by doctors in Mayo clinics. ADPKD's classification is conditioned on two variables: TKV(total kidney volume) and age. The assumption used to construct the model is that TKV growth rate per year is related to age linearly. With the assumption, 5 different growth rates has been adopted and thus resulted in 5 individual sub class A-E.

Based on what I learnt for ADPKD stratification, I wanna propose precise volume measurement tool based on segmentation technique to stratify patients better. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 8 - Our final week and an ending with watching a major surgery.

Week 7: The COVID Testing Set-Up

Week 7