Week 2: Radiation Oncology Clinic | Subash Bhandari | Dr. Ariel Marciscano
I am Subash Bhandari and I am continuing to shadow Dr. Ariel Marciscano in the Radiation Oncology (Rad Onc) Clinic at Weill Cornell. This week, I got to observe a Space (OAR) Surgery in the Rad Onc OR. Space (OAR) Surgery is a special type of surgery done in prostate cancer patients where a Space (OAR) Hydrogel is injected as a liquid through a needle inserted between the rectum and the prostate. Due to the proximity of the rectum and the prostate, prostate radiation therapy can unintentionally cause damage to the rectum, which can lead to issues with bowel functions. Space (OAR) hydrogel pushes the rectum away from the prostate, decreasing rectal injury during the therapy.
To give you a little background, Space(OAR) Hydrogel is a Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) based hydrogel. Prior to surgery, a mixture of PEG and water, and an accelerator are fitted onto a Y-connector syringe. Once the needle is inserted inside the patient, upon successful navigation through the fascia, a small pocket is created in between the rectum and prostate. As the PEG is injected, the accelerant facilitates the polymerization of PEG hydrogel pushing the rectum away from the prostate.
Alike last week, I got an opportunity to do a lot of patient visits and status follow-ups with multiple radiation oncologists which were extremely valuable. I also participated in the weekly Radiation Oncology Clinical Research Program meeting and got to formally introduce myself to the entire department.
I have never had an opportunity to experience anything like this before in my life. I think my perspective about what I do on a day-to-day basis has changed a little and has definitely sparked an interest in cancer research.
Comments
Post a Comment