Week 1 - Introduction to clinical research

My first week of immersion actually started yesterday at 5pm. I have been here for less than 24 hours but I am already getting immersed and learning so much.

My clinical mentor is Dr. Jason Spector, who specializes in plastic and reconstructive surgery. Today I was introduced to members of Dr. Spector's research lab and learned more about their current research projects. The lab uses tissue engineering approaches to better understand and solve the challenges that arise within plastic and reconstructive surgery.

One of the research projects focuses on biomaterials used for nipple reconstruction. Surgical removal of breast tissue is usually the first step towards treating breast cancer. During this procedure, it is not always possible to retain the nipple depending on the location of the tumor within the breast. Current methods for nipple reconstruction do not have lasting results and have low patient satisfaction. To mitigate this issue, the lab has engineered a 3D scaffold composed of a biodegradable polymer. They are currently testing different material combinations and implantation times using in vivo models. Today I was able to observe the removal of the nipple constructs from a rat after one month of implantation. It was really interesting to feel the constructs under the skin and how closely they mimicked a natural human nipple.

Another ongoing research project in the lab is creating a 3D breast model for studying breast implant-associated anaplastic large cell lymphoma (BIA-ALCL). This is a type of lymphoma that is caused by breast implants with textured surfaces. To better understand the physical characteristics of breast implants that cause BIA-ALCL, the lab has developed a model system using PDMS constructs that have different textured surfaces. These constructs were created by designing a mold in CAD software and 3D printing. After printing the mold, it is filled with PDMS and cured. Today I helped one of the students in the lab remove the PDMS constructs from the molds. In the near future, these constructs will be sterilized and implanted into rats to investigate the body's response to the different textured surfaces.



Even though I have only had a few hours of time in the lab, I am learning so many new things and gaining a whole new perspective of plastic and reconstructive surgery. I am looking forward to spending the next two months in the lab and shadowing Dr. Spector during patient visits and surgeries!

Kylie Persson


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 8 - Our final week and an ending with watching a major surgery.

Week 7: The COVID Testing Set-Up

Week 7