More Immunology | Week 3 | Radiation Oncology Clinic | Subash Bhandari | Dr. Ariel Marciscano
After 2 weeks of continuous shadowing and observing clinical procedures in the Radiation Oncology department, I wanted to make my third week about reading papers and reflecting on the science behind what I experienced.
Radiotherapy creates an effect in our body akin to anti-viral response mimicry. Whether our host defense mechanism is exposed to viral infections or sterile inflammation provoked by radiation therapy, our response to either is similar. More studies and clinical trials are being done here at Weill Cornell to improve cancer treatment. Dr. Marciscano sent me a few papers that would bolster my understanding of the synergy between radiation therapy and immunotherapy. With this, I plan on potentially refining an idea for my summer project.
In general, it was a great week! Professional connections, reflections, and readings summarize my week.
Comments
Post a Comment